Sunday, November 19, 2017

What’s Causing Those Circular Holes on Your Taro Plants?









Figure 1  Taro plant with holes in its leaf


Have you ever wondered why is it your taro plants leaves have almost perfect circular holes in them?


For years I have been wondering myself and couldn’t figure out what kind of insect was doing it.

Until one day last January of 2017, this year, when I went to our backyard early in the morning that I noticed a green colored beetle with yellow head and yellow legs. The beetle was in the middle of a semi-circle on the leaf of the taro plant.


Figure 2 Beetle drawing a circle

I also noticed that the semi-circle was freshly made. I did not put any interest on it because I was getting chayote tops. However, when I passed by the taro plant again, I have noticed that the semi-circle is now almost complete perfect circle! And the beetle’s head is at the other end of the circle.

It got me curious and took a closer look. Wow, I saw the beetle was busy drawing a circle with its mouth. I went to get my cellphone and immediately took some pictures of it including a video.

That was 10 months ago and I almost completely forgot about it. But since that time, I was no longer wondering why the taro plants have those circular holes in them. However, just recently, one question pop-up into my mind, “Is the piece of leaf at the center of the circle just fall down after the beetle completely joined the ends of the circle? I asked because I have never seen a dried
leaf under the plants or at the center of a circle but only holes.”




The question keeps coming back into my mind, so, yesterday morning, I went to see if there is a beetle on the taro leaf grown at the back of our house. I am lucky, I saw same kind of beetle who seemed already finished working and probably no longer hungry after creating the circular drawing in the taro leaf.

With inquisitive mind, I saw a ¾ hole at the center of the hole, while the green beetle was resting on the remaining leaf. “Did the beetle ate the other half?”


Figure 3 



Now, I wanted to know more about this beetle. What is its name and what are the experts say about it. The internet can help me so much to answer my questions.

Well, I found out its name as the Green June Beetle. However, I am amazed, I couldn’t find one in the hundreds of images posted that has the same color as the one feeding on my taro plant. “Are the insect experts haven’t discovered this one yet?”

Thus, this is the reason which prompted me to write about it to tell the world there is another Green June Beetle with another color.






This morning, I went again to observe the beetle. I wanted to know if the beetle finished the remaining piece of leaf it did not finish yesterday.  Well, no, the beetle did not finish it.





But when I looked around checking the other taros, I saw one who looked busy. And voila, my other question was answered. I saw the beetle busy feeding on the leaf at the center of the not so perfect circle it made which explain the hole being made.

After taking some pictures and video, I left and decided to come back later. After an hour, I went back to check but it seemed the beetle finished eating as I found it resting. The hole looked wider which indicates the beetle ate some a little bit more after I left it.


Figure  4



One of the things I also observed that its favorite place to create a circle is at the edges of the taro leaf. Maybe because it is a less work to do or is it because the edges are softer to eat.

When I tried to hold the beetle, I felt like it was trying to poke its hard nose or mouth into my finger skin.

Figure  5


That's all I could say about this beautiful creature.  Please, share if you have anything to say about it.


1 comment:

  1. That's a very interesting post about the Green June Beetle! Thanks! Sakit.info

    ReplyDelete